CANANDAIGUA, N.Y. (WROC) - There is a growing push on the governor to restore critical funding needed for Child Advocacy Centers across New York State. Millions of dollars are at risk to help victims of child abuse.

Six CACs, including one here in the Finger Lakes Region, are at risk of total funding cuts. Lawmakers, members of law enforcement, and advocacy leaders joined in Canandaigua to share their calls on the state.

"It would be zero dollars in funding, cutting them down to nothing. We're talking about taking away services for children who have been sexually and physically abused, who have been seriously injured, and, in the most horrific cases, children whose lives have been taken," said Sen. Pam Helming, a Republican representing New York's 54th Senate District.

Last year, the Office of Victim Services awarded a significant boost to Child Advocacy Centers across the state. Today, advocates are unsure if they will be able to keep services running as is.

"On September 30, funding from the Office of Victim Services will end. It's the funding we relied on for decades. On October 1, children will still need protection. Unfortunately, child abuse is not going to end on September 30," said Ashley Davoli, executive director of the Child Advocacy Center of the Finger Lakes.

If the funding is not restored, victims could wait longer or travel further for support.

Ontario County Sheriff David Cirencione reflected on the start of his career in public service.

"I started my career 29 years ago, not as a police officer, but as a Child Protective Services caseworker in Seneca County. There was no trauma-informed approach. There were no CACs, and there were no advocates," the Sheriff said, "As I stand here, it makes me sick to think of all the things we fund in this state. We're going to yank money away from Child Advocacy Centers set up for us to bring a team approach for victims of child physical and sexual abuse. It just cannot happen."

Lawmakers told reporters their calls to the governor have gone unanswered. News 8 reached out to the governor's office for a response on Wednesday.

A spokesperson for the Office of Victim Services responded, saying the agency received an 'unprecedented response to funding applications, far exceeding the money available.' The spokesperson also added that funding uncertainty and federal rules contributed to 'making difficult decisions.'

At this time, it's still unclear if the funding local leaders are pleading for will arrive by October.

"If this funding isn't restored, where will these children go? How many of these children are going to fall through the gaps that this is going to leave behind?" said Davoli.

The Office of Victim Services provided the following statement:

"OVS received an unprecedented response to its 2026 request for applications (RFA) to fund victim assistance programs statewide: 316 applicants sought $626.1 million over two years, which exceeded the funding available by $373.1 million. Never in its history has OVS received that many applicants seeking that level of funding. Every RFA begins a new funding cycle. OVS cannot provide preferential treatment to currently funded programs or consider current funding when making award decisions. The incredible demand, the state's competitive procurement process, and federal rules and funding uncertainty required us to make difficult decisions. The $126.5 million to be awarded annually represents the single largest investment in victim services in the state's history, allowing us to fund more programs and reach more New Yorkers in need."

Copyright 2026 Nexstar Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to RochesterFirst.