A former pilot has been sentenced to life imprisonment in South Korea after murdering a former colleague and plotting five further murders.
The Busan District Court found the 49-year-old guilty of murder, attempted murder and conspiracy to commit murder, South Korea's official news agency Yonhap reported on Friday.
He must also wear an electronic tag for 30 years.
The case attracted significant media attention in South Korea due to its gruesome and unusual circumstances.
In March, the convicted man had visited a former pilot at his flat in Busan and killed him with a knife. The day before, he had unsuccessfully attempted to strangle another of his victims in a town near Seoul.
In total, the perpetrator had devised six detailed murder plans. All the intended victims are said to have attended the same Air Force Academy as him.
The judges emphasized the seriousness of the offences. The murderer had systematically stalked his victims and scouted out their places of residence.
Furthermore, the court noted that the perpetrator's motive was difficult to understand. The convicted man claimed that he had been systematically slandered by his former pilot colleagues from the Air Force Academy, which ultimately drove him to commit the murders.
Some of the intended victims reportedly stated that they could only vaguely recall the man.
The defendant again issued death threats during his final statement to the court. According to Yonhap, he told the court that he had already hired contract killers to target the five remaining living fellow pilots.
When asked whether he regretted his actions, the man replied: "Not at all," and added that the victims were the real perpetrators.