A hearing to address misconduct allegations against the mayor of Stockbridge has been postponed until after a judge can decide whether a city council member should be removed from the proceeding because of bias.
[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]
The Stockbridge City Council planned a 10 a.m. hearing Saturday to discuss findings of an investigation into Mayor Jayden Williams, who took office in January at the age of 22. But just as the hearing was set to begin at city hall, former Fulton County Chief Magistrate Judge Gino Brogdon announced it would be postponed until next month. Brogdon was appointed to oversee the city's evidentiary hearing.
He granted a petition from Williams to address whether city council member LaKeisha Gantt should be recused. Williams said she cannot be objective.
"What's prompting this recusal is the simple fact that I have a council member who is to act as the jury on my investigation who has blatantly already made her decision based off assumptions she saw on TV, assumptions she's seen on social media, and comments she has now made to include threats to my family," Williams said Saturday.
The 23-year-old mayor said his grandmother received phone calls and text messages from council member Gantt trying to influence her to tell him to resign from office.
Woman dies after running into traffic during fight on I-85
Popular DJ killed, Rolex stolen in what friend calls a set-up
Son of former RHOA star Kim Zolciak arrested on serious charges
In a court hearing Thursday, Gantt said she had not decided whether any of the allegations are true and she can be fair and impartial.
Last month, the city council issued a report accusing the mayor of misspending more than $4,000 of city funds on hotel stays, fuel and meals. Williams has said the purchases were all work related and he reimbursed the city for any inadvertent personal charges.
The city has also raised allegations that Williams engaged in sexual misconduct with an 18-year-old high school student. Police said they found no evidence of a crime and Williams has denied any wrongdoing.
"What they're doing now is attacking my personal character and my personal life," he said. "And if that's what the council wants to do, to try to gain spite or step up in the press corps for y'all's headlines, I'm gonna let them do it."
His attorney, Robert Kenner, said the mayor's youth has made other city officials envious. They're making him a target.
"He brought a lot of youth, he brought a lot of attention to Stockbridge, he brought a lot of energy to Stockbridge, and the voters have spoken," he said. "They like him. They want him to stay and have given him support throughout this whole process."
Kathy Walker voted for Williams and showed up for Saturday's scheduled hearing.
"I was hoping to hear what facts do you guys have. Where did you get the information from and how can you show us?" she said. "People voted for this mayor. Why did it have to come to this level to make it a national scene?"
Stockbridge city attorney Quinton Washington said city council has not reached any conclusions about the mayor's alleged actions.
"The city decided to have an investigation to make a determination later about what happened," he said. "There has been no decision about anything except that we need to have an investigation, so that's where we still are."
The judge scheduled a virtual hearing on the recusal matter for Aug. 31 at 5 p.m. He rescheduled the evidentiary hearing for Saturday, Sept. 12 at 9 a.m. at Stockbridge City Hall.
[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]