At least 15 people were killed and 34 wounded in a major overnight Russian air attack on Kiev, according to Ukrainian officials, as Russia stepped up the use of ballistic missiles in strikes on the capital.

Kiev Mayor Vitali Klitschko reported the death toll on Thursday as clean-up operations in the city continued. Ukraine's civil protection service said 34 people were wounded.

Another person was killed and seven were injured in the wider Kiev region, according to local authorities.

Russia is increasingly using ballistic missiles in its airstrikes, knowing that Ukraine has been reporting a shortage of interceptor missiles.

The Russian Defence Ministry confirmed the attack, saying arms factories and storage facilities for ammunition and drones had been hit in Kiev.

Ukrainian authorities reported several fires and power outages. Residential buildings, including a high-rise, as well as a children's hospital and a school were also hit. Residents sought shelter in the city's underground stations.

"Tomorrow, August 21, will be declared a day of mourning in Kiev in memory of the victims of the massive enemy attack on the capital," Klitschko said on Telegram.

Flags at municipal buildings will be flown at half-mast, while Klitschko recommended that government and private buildings also lower their flags.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky described the strikes as a "massive" attack involving various types of missiles, cruise missiles and drones.

He accused Russia of preparing the attack for "a long time" in order to "cause as much damage as possible to civilian infrastructure," adding that destruction had also been reported in the Odessa and Chernihiv regions.

"Unfortunately, while Moscow is investing in ballistic missiles and escalation, such strikes do not always receive the response they should from the world. And as long as Ukraine does not have enough anti-ballistic defence, Russia will not consider peace seriously," Zelensky said on social media.

Zelensky said Ukraine was working to develop its own missile defences but continued to need Patriot interceptor missiles.

Russia meanwhile reported a massive wave of Ukrainian drone attacks overnight.

The Russian Defence Ministry said a total of 726 Ukrainian drones had been shot down across several regions.

Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said 250 drones approaching the Russian capital had been intercepted. He gave no information about possible casualties or damage.

Moscow's airports temporarily suspended take-offs and landings overnight, as they frequently do during drone attacks.

Ukraine's General Staff said strikes also hit an oil refinery in Nizhnekamsk in Russia's Republic of Tatarstan and an important oil terminal in Volna, near Taman in the southern Krasnodar region.

Russian authorities did not specifically confirm the strikes on those facilities but reported fires and damage at industrial sites following Ukrainian drone attacks. Injuries were also reported in Tatarstan.

The violence in Russia's war against Ukraine has intensified in recent weeks, with rising civilian casualties on both sides. Both countries have increasingly deployed faster, more powerful and longer-range weapons.