A man accused of sharing details of properties housing asylum seekers has been released from prison after charges against him were dropped, the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) has said.
James Jobson, from Costessey near Norwich, had been charged and remanded in custody following anti-immigration disorder in Thetford, but Norfolk Police said on Friday that no further action would be taken.
Earlier on Saturday, Jobson's family told the BBC he was "still in prison" and that they were "in bits" as they had been informed it would be Monday before he was released.
Shortly after 22:00 BST, the MoJ said Jobson, 62, had now been released.
![There was a heavy police presence after three nights of disturbances in Thetford [John Fairhall/BBC]](https://s.yimg.com/lo/mysterio/api/699a3cb7df9001f40097d2429a2ce913047469bb66837bdad323a805158b8551/lightyear_networkapi/resizefill_w960%3Bquality_80%3Bformat_webp/https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.zenfs.com%2Fen%2Fbbc_us_articles_995%2F8d78ca186c6efcb7ce9560ac4b86b399.jpg)
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) also confirmed that the charges were dropped against Jobson on Friday, but he was not released from prison until the following day.
"Steps were put in place so that Jobson was released yesterday," a spokesperson for the CPS told the BBC on Sunday.
Houses on five streets in Thetford were targeted by crowds over three nights earlier this month.
Jobson had appeared at Ipswich Magistrates' Court on Monday charged with misconduct in public office over the sharing of the properties' addresses.
He was remanded in custody following the hearing and was due to appear at Norwich Crown Court next month.
However, Norfolk Police said on Friday that "it was concluded that the legal test for prosecution was no longer met and the case was discontinued".
The force said: "Officers identified additional evidence which undermined the case against Mr Jobson and the CPS was informed of these developments."
It added that "detectives continue to investigate how information was shared online which led to a number of addresses being targeted".
Earlier on Saturday, when asked if Jobson remained in prison, a spokesperson for the MoJ said: "The lord chancellor has been clear he expects everything possible to be done to ensure Mr Jobson's release immediately."
Do you have a story suggestion for Norfolk? Contact us below.
Follow Norfolk news on BBC Sounds, Facebook, Instagram and X.
Schools told to check fire risk after canopy blaze
Man found guilty of murdering estranged wife