A drone shot down by NATO fighter jets over Latvia last week entered its airspace from neighbouring Belarus, Defence Minister Raivis Melnis told Latvian television on Monday.
Melnis added that the origin of the unmanned aircraft remained unclear.
On Friday, Italian Eurofighters downed the drone over the Balvi region in the north-east of the country, about 20 kilometres from the town of the same name. The Latvian military searched the crash site and safely detonated dangerous debris.
Melnis said parts of the drone were still being examined by experts.
According to the military, the drone entered Latvian airspace as a result of Russian jamming. This has led to speculation that it could have been a diverted Ukrainian drone.
Latvia borders Russia to the east. Since the start of the war in Ukraine, there have been several drone-related incidents in the Baltic state. Misdirected drones have repeatedly entered Latvian airspace and crashed after being diverted from their targets in north-western Russia.
NATO fighter jets shot down a diverted drone over Latvia in early June.
Melnis stressed that drones entering Latvian territory would continue to be shot down to protect the safety of residents and their property, noting that the risk of further drone incidents remained.
"Ukraine is defending itself and continues to attack Russian territory with drones, while Russia is taking countermeasures," the defence minister said.