Around 1,000 people have been evacuated due to a forest fire in eastern Spain.

Buses have been made available for people without their own vehicles, Juan Carlos Valderrama, the minister for civil protection in the Autonomous Community of Valencia, told journalists on Saturday.

The flames around the village of Gátova, near Valencia, are believed to have been sparked by a lightning strike late on Thursday. The blaze is not yet under control. By Friday evening, more than 400 hectares had been burnt.

Gátova normally has a population of around 450, though this doubles during the summer months due to holidaymakers, the Spanish state broadcaster RTVE reported. Television footage showed that the flames have already come close to built-up areas.

The Military Emergency Unit (UME) and numerous fire brigades were deployed to assist in the rugged terrain as well as fire-fighting helicopters and aircraft.

Drought and record temperatures - which are also a consequence of climate change - make the vegetation extremely flammable.

The European Commission's Forest Fire Information System (EFFIS) says more than 297,000 hectares have already been burnt in 425 forest fires in Spain this year.

Meanwhile, further north on the Costa Daurada, three people were injured - one seriously - when a wall collapsed in the town of Roda de Berà near Tarragona following heavy rainfall, according to the fire service.

Up to 200 litres of rain per square metre were recorded in just a few hours in the area early on Saturday morning.